There are so many wonderful Old Hollywood onscreen couples to love that I often have trouble naming my favorites. Truth be told, it often changes – depending on which ones have lit up my screen most recently!
However, the following are almost always at the top:
- Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz
- Maureen O’Hara and John Wayne
- June Allyson and Dick Powell
- June Allyson and Van Johnson
- Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy
- Joan Crawford and Robert Montgomery
- Lana Turner and James Stewart
- Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant
- Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire
- Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford
- Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda
I see several of these named as other Old Hollywood fan favorites, as well, but I really don’t see Lana and James named very often.
Now that I think about it, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone else name them as one of their favorite couples!
Maybe it’s partly because Ziegfeld Girl had so much going on that their storyline tends to get lost in the glitz and the glamour. I’m not sure…. but I am sure that the chemistry is there in spades!
If you haven’t seen Ziegfeld Girl in a while (or, especially, if you’ve never seen it), watch it soon… paying special attention to Lana and James’ scenes. I have a feeling that, like me, you’ll find yourself wishing they had made more films together!